HNTB Geotechnical Engineer II in Madison, Wisconsin
What We're Looking For
Responsible for assisting in the production and modification of design calculations, technical reports, engineering plans and specifications for assigned projects. This position performs research, development, calculations, design and delivery in partnership with the project team. Applies engineering techniques, procedures and design criteria for projects ranging in size and complexity. Leverages technical knowledge and experience to assist in the execution and evaluation of project designs. Develops conceptual and detailed designs and calculations to support the project execution using current drawing and technical tools, programs and software. As a member of the team, you will contribute to the successful project delivery for a diverse range of projects for HNTB’s clients.
The time is right to join HNTB Corporation! We are seeking candidates for a Geotechnical Engineer I position in our Milwaukee or Madison offices. The successful candidate will assist with geotechnical evaluation and computations to support design of foundations, retaining structures and other earth- and rock-supported elements. The HNTB geotechnical community provides services for bridges, highway interchanges, flood and hurricane protection systems, rail and transit projects, water resource projects, airports, stadiums, and major utility projects. The position may also offer opportunities for cross-discipline analysis and design tasks with bridge, highway and water resource engineering sections.
HNTB is a privately held, employee-owned firm, with more than 5,000 employees in 77 locations nationwide. We have a 100-year history designing some of the largest and most complex projects in the U.S. HNTB ranked No. 3 in Transportation and No. 14 overall in Engineering News-Record's Top 500 Design Firms for 2020.
We are looking for motivated individuals to join our team. HNTB offers competitive salaries, a learning environment, and the chance to work on major projects around the county.
Job Description Summary
Within the Geotechnical Engineering specialty, learn and complete specific geotechnical design analyses under general supervision. Design elements include deep foundations, earth retaining systems, ground improvement procedures, embankments and cut slopes, levees and dams.
Responsible for completion of discipline engineering project elements such as reports, designs, specifications and plans
● Assist with development of subsurface exploration and laboratory testing programs
● Coordinate with subconsultants including oversight of subconsultant’s budget, deliverables, and schedule
● Review geotechnical laboratory data and subconsultant deliverables for conformance with applicable testing and project standards
● Correlate and interpret field and laboratory results for use in analyses
● Provide geotechnical analysis, design and reports for shallow and deep foundations, earth retaining systems, ground improvement procedures, embankments and cut slopes, levees and dams
● Complete geotechnical analyses, report preparation, and design efforts with direction from lead geotechnical engineer, and that are responsive to project needs including design criteria, quality, schedule and budget requirements
● Assist with development or review specifications and plan notes related to geotechnical design elements (e.g. earthwork and foundations)
● Provide support for design review and adhere to project quality management plan
● Work closely with other disciplines on multi-discipline projects
● Communicate effectively with geotechnical lead on the job, other discipline's designers and sub consultants
● Perform construction observation of earthwork, foundation installation, wall construction and pavement construction
● Potential opportunities for cross-discipline analysis and design tasks with bridge, highway, and water resource engineering sections
● Position may require travel to other HNTB offices, project sites, and project offices for work assignments
Primary Focus Will Include:
Interpret and evaluate subsurface exploration and lab testing data
Perform geotechnical engineering analysis computations
Prepare engineering Reports and Memos
Develop technical expertise in geotechnical specialty practice area
Collaborate with other project-team disciplines to develop design solutions
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
Master's degree in Civil Engineering specializing in Geotechnical Engineering
Engineer in Training (EIT) certification with ability to obtain PE registration and license within 3 years
Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience in geotechnical and analyses, geotechnical field services, and report preparation
Knowledge of geotechnical investigation techniques and laboratory testing procedures
Previous use of geotechnical software (e.g. APile, GRLWEAP, SHAFT, LPile, Group, PYWall, SlopeW, SeepW, Settle3, SP911, Shoring Suite, DeepEX ) and computer aided design software (e.g. MicroStation)
What You'll Need
Completes assigned work within the schedule and number of hours provided.
Responsible for preparation and/or modification for select portions of project reports, plans, designs, and calculations.
Develops project quantities and assists with development of cost estimates.
Assists engineering teams with organization and administrative support of design files.
Able to self-sufficiently complete various tasks and duties including but not limited to research, data collection, field investigations, development, and design of projects.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering and 2 years of relevant experience
Master’s degree in Engineering and 1 year of relevant experience
Click here for benefits information: HNTB Total Rewards
Click here to learn more about EOE including disability and vet
R-08872 Full Time #JK
NOTICE TO THIRD-PARTY AGENCIES:
HNTB does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or agencies. Any staffing/employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume to this site does so with the understanding that the applicant's resume will become the property of HNTB. HNTB will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion and without any fee owed to the submitting staffing/employment agency, person or entity. Staffing/employment agencies who have fee agreements with HNTB must submit applicants to the designated HNTB recruiter to be eligible for placement fees.
Job Type: Regular
Full/Part Time: Full time
Job Category: Engineering Group